I finally got around to wiring Cat6 to my desktop machines at home, and ripped out those powerline network adapters. I ran a test if iperf between my desktop and my router before and after the upgrade to see how things fared. iperf results before:

desktop1:~$ iperf -f m -V -t 30 -c 10.10.0.1 
------------------------------------------------------------ 
Client connecting to 10.10.0.1, TCP port 5001 
TCP window size: 0.08 MByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------ 
[3] local 10.10.0.241 port 35262 connected with 10.10.0.1 port 5001 
[ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[3] 0.0-30.0 sec 510 MBytes 142 Mbits/sec

iperf results over Cat6:

$ iperf -f m -V -t 30 -c 10.10.0.1 
------------------------------------------------------------ 
Client connecting to 10.10.0.1, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 0.08 MByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[3] local 10.10.0.241 port 55044 connected with 10.10.0.1 port 5001
[ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth 
[3] 0.0-30.0 sec 2135 MBytes 597 Mbits/sec

142Mbit/sec to 597 Mbit/sec. That’ll do.